Information for Parents of Year 6 Children
Firstly, thank you for considering The John of Gaunt School for the next stage of your child's education. We know choosing the right school is an important decision and we hope our website and in turn a school tour will convince you that we are the right choice. You may already know that over the last few years record numbers of students are joining the school, we are honoured that so many families are putting their faith in us. Indeed, in the last school survey 97% of parent said they would strongly recommend this school to another parent.
If you are thinking of your child joining us, we hope you enjoy all the information in our school prospectus together with the New Students' Information and virtual tour of the school provided on this page. This will give you a real flavour of what John of Gaunt can offer your child.
The John of Gaunt School is a unique, vibrant and highly successful school and we have developed a strong reputation for both academic and pastoral excellence.
Whilst we are first and foremost a place of learning, we strive to ensure that students are academically nurtured and cared for in a safe welcoming environment in which they can be happy, grow, gain in confidence and be challenged to achieve in all aspects of their school, home and social life. Our broad curriculum means children will study 14 different subjects at Key Stage 3 and have a choice of up 30 different clubs and activities that take place each week at lunch times and after school, we believe these opportunities enrich the lives of our young people and enhance our already thriving curriculum offer.
Our vast curriculum and large pastoral and SEN system is designed to enrich the learning experience of all our students, whatever their ability. Helping our young people develop into confident, sensitive and reflective adults is fundamental. During their time at The John of Gaunt School we will ensure young people meet or exceed their potential, this is achieved through outstanding teaching and careful support for each young person throughout their time with us.
As a school we encourage school tours as we are confident that you will be impressed. As a result we run an Open Day Every Day policy. (COVID-19 restrictions may apply). Please contact us for an appointment, at a time of your choosing.
Choosing a school is a very important decision but I believe our student centred approach, high standards, outstanding teaching and personalised care, will ensure your child has a very successful and enjoyable future.
20 reasons to come and join John of Gaunt School…
- Experience disruption free classrooms every lesson, every day.
- Experience high quality, subject specialist teaching that leads to excellent progress.
- Take part in a fabulous school production every year.
- Be part of a Year 7 only tutor group.
- Take part in some of the 25 extra-curricular clubs every week and our Activities Week in July.
- Join in with student leadership opportunities in every year group.
- Be part of a house team and take part in crazy competitions.
- Never worry about remembering money for snacks and food with our cashless system.
- When you are older choose from a huge variety of different subjects.
- Experience lessons in Year 7 across 13 different subjects!
- Attend the Year 7 activity residential to make friends every September.
- Benefit from elite sports coaches and speakers visiting our school throughout the year.
- Take part in national competitions such as the Maths Challenge and Young Voice.
- Join the Duke of Edinburgh Award scheme or Ten Tors walking team.
- Enjoy lessons with our average class size of 26 students.
- Achieve excellent results that exceed national expectations.
- Feel nurtured and supported with our experienced and vast pastoral team.
- Experience excellent personalised support from our Individual Learning Team.
- Earn reward points every lesson and turn them into prizes. You could even choose Air Pods!
- Join our animal care club and look after our naughty goats and chickens!
|Speech from Head Boy - Ben Wallis||Speech from Head Girl - Erin Bowker|
|Speech from Mr Skipp, Headteacher||Speech from Mrs Addison, Head of Year 7|