Skip to content ↓

Do I qualify for free school meals?

Free school meals are not provided automatically. They can be awarded if you receive any of the following:

  • Income Support
  • Job Seeker's Allowance (income-based)
  • Employment and Support Allowance (income-related)
  • Support under part six of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
  • The Guarantee element of State Pension Credit
  • Child Tax Credit - providing you are NOT entitled to Working Tax Credit and your family's annual income (as assessed by HMRC) is not more than £16,190 (as at 6 April 2012)
  • Working Tax Credit 'run-on' - the payment you may receive for a further four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit

If you are receiving Working Tax Credit you are NOT entitled to free school meals, regardless of your income.  The exception is during the four-week 'run on' period when you may have stopped qualifying for but are still receiving payment of Working Tax Credit.

Children who receive Income Support or income-based Job Seeker's Allowance in their own right qualify as well. All pupils who do not qualify for free school meals must be charged the same amount for the same quantity of the same item.

How long will my child get free school meals?

Free school meals are awarded for the period of your qualifying benefit or support payment.

Why should I apply for free school meals if I do not wish my child/children to receive them?

We would like to ask you to consider registering your child/children as eligible for free school meals, whether you intend to take up the option of them actually having a free school meal. This is because a great deal of the funding that comes from the Government for schools in Wiltshire is based on the numbers of pupils eligible for free school meals. So by registering for free school meals you will be helping the funding of your child’s school.

How can I apply for free school meals?

Application for Free School Meals

Please download and complete the form (click the button above). We can help you to do this if you would like this help. The completed form can be returned to The John of Gaunt School. We can forward it to County Hall on your behalf. Or, if you prefer, you can send it direct to:

Free School Meals
Children's Services
Wiltshire Council
County Hall
Wiltshire BA14 8JN